Back from SXSW World Premiere: First “SORRY, THANKS” Reviews!
We’re back from Austin, TX, where Sorry, Thanks had its World Premiere at SXSW—three screenings, each with fantastic, curious, receptive audiences. We had an amazing time showing the movie, and felt lucky to play side-by-side with such great films/filmmaker friends.
And SXSW generated our first batch of reviews—great stuff! Check out the kind words & coverage …
- INDIEWIRE: “Sorry, Thanks has such keen insight into human behavior that its accuracy almost seems like pure luck …” Read the full review HERE.
- THE NEW YORK TIMES: SXSW 2009 Slideshow
- HAMMER TO NAIL: “Could easily become a well-worn favorite of the DVD library of Gen-Yers of both sexes … Sokol’s script (co-written with producer Lauren Veloski) is as seamless as any studio rom-com—if studio rom-coms had astute, nuanced dialogue …” Read the full review HERE.
- SPOUT Review: “Wiggins finds jokes within jokes, adds poignancy to Max’s worst behavior, and somehow gets away with it … the mix of humility, sadness, frustration and agony dancing across his face is a little heartbreaking, and a little hilarious. It’s that tone that sets Sorry, Thanks apart—it sets you up with its deceptively breezy, primary color staging, and, in the unlikeliest of times and modes, delivers a gut punch.” Read the full review HERE.
- SPOUT Interview with Dia: “When you’re making a really small film, the moral quandary is what you have to work with as the most authentic narrative tool … I like the idea of making a film about people who are doing bad things who might never really be accountable for their actions but who you like regardless, who you’re drawn to and identify with. That’s what real life is …” Read the full interview HERE.
- THE LOS ANGELES TIMES: “The film is a sidelong charmer …” Read the full article HERE.
- PASTE MAGAZINE: “Sokol’s experience may have come from producing, but she has leapt into the directing pool several strokes ahead of where we could reasonably expect.” Read the full article HERE.
Next up: Sorry, Thanks will be playing at the Sarasota Film Festival next week (April 1st & April 2nd), and at the Nashville Film Festival in mid-April. Keep checking this space for more festival updates!
—DIA & LAUREN